You may have desired to volunteer and help those in need during this pandemic time but you might not where to start. We have found a list of places that offer the opportunity for you to volunteer safely to help and love your neighbors that are in need. We hope that these ideas help you connect with others and with Jesus.
Opportunities from any location:
- MaskHelpers connects people who need masks with people who make masks. They help connect those who need free, non-medical grade, reusable masks with those who want to make and donate them.
- JoAnn Fabrics has mask making instructions here.
- Blood donations are needed to maintain a safe and stable blood supply.
- The American Red Cross in Illinois
- The American Red Cross in Indiana
Missions Right Where You Are
Go2020 shares ideas on how to share Jesus in the midst of this crisis with prayer, simple acts of love such as grocery shopping for an elderly neighbor, or checking in on friends can open the doors to some incredible conversations. Go2020 is helping to mobilize Christian believers to share the gospel during this time.
Opportunities By County in Illinois:
- Join the fight against COVID-19, find volunteers opportunities in Illinois by county.
- Serve Illinois Volunteer Opportunities.
- The Greater Chicago Food Depository has an urgent need for volunteers aged 18-60 to pack food for their COVID-19 response. Food assistance is an essential service during the Illinois Stay at Home order. There are opportunities to sign up to volunteer in their warehouse.
- UChicago Medicine has information on how to help by donating PPE, homemade masks, food, and medical supplies.
Central Illinois Opportunities:
- Stone Creek Church Food Pantry
Stone Creek Food Pantry has seen an increase in the number of families served each week due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are interested in volunteering with Stone Creek Church’s Food Pantry, you are invited to their Sign Up Genius page to see available volunteer opportunities.
- First Christian Church Champaign Community Food Relief Volunteers.
First Christian Church Champaign has partnered with Stone Creek Church and the CU-BetterTogether Initiative to boost Champaign-Urbana school districts capacity to provide food for families. Over the coming weeks, they need volunteers ages 18–49 to help pack and distribute meals to over 1000 households.
- Catholic Charities Food Bank of Decatur
Volunteer to help with the Catholic Charities Food Bank of Decatur’s Food Pantry or Mobile Pantry by calling 217-428-6772.
- Good Samaritan Inn located in the Greater Decatur Area
Good Samaritan Inn needs over 400 volunteers a month to help feed the hungry by preparing and serving meals.
- Money Mentors Serving Champaign, Ford, Iroquois, and Vermilion Counties
If you are great with your finances and love helping others with their finances, consider becoming a Money Mentor through the University of Illinois.
It’s estimated that 50% of Americans have either lost jobs or lost working hours as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Financial challenges are real for most people in our community.
Terre Haute, Indiana Opportunities:
- Elara Caring Music & Song for Hospice Patients Volunteer Opportunities
Elara Caring provides home-based care and they are looking for volunteers that love to sing or play an instrument to bless hospice patients. Music volunteers will call a patient through video chat or stand outside hospice patients windows and minister to them. Elara Caring wants these patients to have the comfort of knowing they are not alone during this crisis and to provide them with a smile as well as peace and comfort through music.
- Elara Caring Crafts for Hospice Patients Volunteer Opportunities
Elara Caring, provider of home-based care is looking for crafty and creative volunteers to put a smile on the faces of their hospice patients when they are not allowed visitors. They are looking for volunteers to make and mail cards, write letters, and send a brief note.
If you have a volunteer resource you would like us to add to this list, you are invited to let us know by filling out the form below.